Saturday 25 May 2013

Passion, Love and Boxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z66wVo7uNw - This song, Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield, is perfect for this moment that Doc speaks of. Peekay's determination to move forward helps him persevere through some very tough fights to win the final.

"Remember the dream in your own scheme so keep on pushin'" - Curtis  Mayfield.

Thursday, 1942

                  I cannot even begin to talk about how proud I am of Peekay. Yes, fighting is for the barbarians, ja, but it is goot when Peekay does it. Such skill is in the boy and Geel Piet’s help only makes him better and better. Absolodoodle! As I told him “You must box like a Mozart piano concerto.” he did this well, ja. The big Boers were no match for the teachings of Captain Smit and Geel Piet. Even when the boy was outmatched in the final fight, this Killer Kroon was big, ja, he did not give up. He fought and fought and fought! He used the strategies of Geel Piet and listened to his heart. This is how men should be, ja. They should listen to their heart and never give up.

              This is one of the things I love about Peekay; he never gives up. He is a very determined boy. Determined? Ja. Absolodoodle! Peekay perseveres through everything that is thrown at him. His training has taken over two years and finally he has gotten here. Hard work pays off, especially when you are someone with the passion and determination of Peekay. I have never met anyone like him, I am not even this way. Ever since the Beethoven fiasco... No.. I do not want to talk about it. Let it be said that Peekay is the embodiment of the cactus ideology for me. The cactus stands majestic, watered or not. Day or night. Hot or cold. Nothing gets the cactus down until he is cut down by the natural way of the world. This is Peekay. No matter what, nothing gets him down. He is always ready to act, and never ready to fall. There is much resilience in his soul. He has been through a lot in his life; though he has not told me, I suspect many things about his early childhood. If people like Peekay did not exist the world would be a darker place and men like Hitler would rule. Absolodoodle!

                Of course this chance to leave the prison came with a price. I now had to play a concert for the Brigadier who was coming to visit the prison. Of course there was to be no Beethoven, I would play Chopin, ja. I will make Peekay a part of it to calm my nerves, he will turn my music pages. If I did not have Peekay by my side it would not be right, I would be anxious. Maybe this concert would be another Beethoven fiasco, ja. This I cannot bear. I am only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

1 comment:

  1. I was so proud of small baas when he won! There was nothing I wanted more than for the Tadpole Angel to win, the people are proud as well! Their songs echo off the mines and prison walls in honour of the Inkosi. Small baas Peekay is what brings us all together. Him and the Doc help us all. There is no one I trust more than them. I might be just a kaffir to these Boers, but to the Inkosi I am a man. To him I am a human, just as we all are! The Iknosi will bring us to freedom, he will bring us all to the light that Africa once shone down on us. The plague of hate will leave us forever and we shall be free again.

    -Geel Piet

    ReplyDelete