Saturday 25 May 2013

Boy On A Rock


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfdAJxUXgYI - A song about Africa that really embodies this post.

Saturday, 1940
             
               Such an exquisite sight lay before me. Among the kloofs and plants a rock sat facing the sunrise, and what a beautiful sunrise it was. A true African sunrise, bathing the land in gold, yellow and orange light. Encompassing all, warming all and giving life to the dark world. A young boy sat upon the rock sitting so still he almost looked like a statue. Absolodoodle! A statue! I had my camera hanging around my neck, and I knew I had to take this picture. I slowly pulled it up and focused the lens to capture the perfect image after asking the young boys permission. It was a goot shot, this I cannot deny. It captured the very soul of Africa; the beauty, the mystery and the intrigue. It captured the sadness and the overall melancholy one has when they think of the past. This was something that would be remembered for a long time. Boy on a Rock.

               He was wondering what an old man like me was doing in the hills at this time of day and he soon discovered my love for the cactus! This was goot, ja. Euphorbia grandicornis... a very shy cactus; the cactus is very goot, very beautiful and he understood this. He noticed it in my bag and did not understand how it was not pricking me. After showing him that my bag was made of leather he said that he could have figured that out for himself. Schmarty pants I called him! Absolodoodle! But, my goodness! Peekay was my goodluck charm. I found a rare aloe where he sat. Wunderbar! Still, he wondered what a professor was. I told him; “A professor is a person who drinks too much whiskey and once played goot Beethoven.” This was to be the beginning of a great friendship, ja.

              Not long after our first meeting I went to Peekay’s home and met with his mother to discuss teaching him piano. This would be goot for him I told her, the only payment would be that Peekay helps me find more cacti – after all, he was my lucky charm that day. His mother agreed, realizing that having her son trained in music would be a social advantage. I was overjoyed; I could now pass on my knowledge to a worthy learner. Not just my knowledge of the piano, but my knowledge of the world! Absolodoodle! Peekay was a quick learner and did not give up, not at piano, not at anything. As my new partner, I taught him the ways of observation during our outings into the kloofs, at the library and during piano lessons. From a young age I could see the makings of a great man in Peekay.

              A resilient, hard-working child that never gives up is a great companion in the world.






1 comment:

  1. That sounds just like the Peekay I know. Smart, curious and likeable from the moment you meet him. It's been a really long time since I saw the kid, my little boetie, and I miss him. I'm glad he's in the hands of Doc; a man of intelligence always goes first with the head then the heart. This piano thing though... a piano player can't box! His hands are the most important thing on him if he's gonna play piano! Ag, sis man, how is Peekay gonna become the Welterweight Champion of the world if he's playing piano?! I still hope to see him one day with his hand high above his head in victory in that ring, but until that day comes at least Peekay is still using his head.

    - Hoppie Groenewald

    ReplyDelete