Saturday 25 May 2013

The Crystal Cave, Death and the Power of One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyyhB6-W_lg - This song is great for an inspirational post such as this. Doc is accepting Death with an outlook not many people have. The upbeat drums and music of this track show this off to the reader, and the words of the song symbolize what life really is.

Monday, 1947

              I am old and sick. Peekay has been away at school and I miss him terribly. I know I am going to pass on soon, I can feel it in my bones. The kloofs and cacti will miss me, ja. Peekay will miss me and dear Mrs. Boxall will miss me, as I will miss them. The afterlife beckons, the crystal cave of Africa calls and life begins to leave me. Will Peekay know where I have gone? Will he continue to be the boy I met on the rock that day? I must let him know in some way that I will always love him and care about him. I will write him a letter! Absolodoole! Ah, this is a goot idea. I feel a lot better now.


              I must move on, I am in a time when great strength is needed. The strength of this country that I love so much must come to me. The strength of Africa must flow through me once again, ja. I must have the strength I had at the concert of the prison, the prisoners sang with passion and power. I need this passion and I need this power now more than ever. I will use it to make my way to the crystal cave of Africa. I will show death that he is no match for Professor von Volensteen! Absolodoodle! I will ride majestic through the mists of Avalon, shooting flaming arrows of musical property across the land! Give me the power, the power of one. This, I beg of you.

             Peekay will know where to find me and he will also know that I will not have left him without one more word. A letter is in order, to be put at the mouth of the cave for that schmarty pants to find. Ja, he will know. Absolodoodle. Peekay always knows what to do. There is no one on this Earth I could trust more than my dear friend Peekay. He has gone off to discover the life and become the Welterweight Champion of the World, following his dreams as I once did. My life is coming to a close, a new chapter beginning. Strength will be needed, love will stay behind and Africa will take me as I took her. This is how it should be, ja, this is goot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvCYx6uGrc - This scene from the film "Blood Diamond" really connects to Doc's love for Africa. Danny Archer, the main character in the film, is shot and dying at the top of a mountain somewhere in South Africa. As he puts it at 2:38, "It's alright, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be." This is just like Doc, he is exactly where he's supposed to be when he dies; Africa.

1 comment:

  1. So much pain has been a part of Peekay's life, losing Doc must be one hell of a loss for him. I wouldn't even know what to do if my best friend died, then again that would be Peekay dying. If Peekay died... I don't even want to think about it. After he told me about Granpa Chook and Big Hettie... That is just too much to experience for one kid. Peekay's been through a lot, he's experienced a lot and that's what makes him the person he is today. That determined guy that I know so well, that guy who never gives up. That's Peekay.

    -Morrie

    ReplyDelete